Saturday, January 8, 2011

How To Make A Rainbow GIANT Cupcake

How To Make A Rainbow GIANT Cupcake

You will need 2 boxes of white cake mix and prepare as instructed on the box:
 Divide up the batter into equal amounts for the number of colors you will be using. 
I have 6 colors so the batter divided into 1.5 cups per bowl:

Gel Food Colors (in your desired color scheme). I found these at my local cake supply store. Betty Crocker makes a box of 4 primary colors, however it is not sold at my local grocery store.

Put at least 4 drops of each color into the divide batter until desired color tone is reached:


Pour approx 1/2 cup of each color in concentric circles into your pan 
(I used Wilton's Cake Release to grease the pan prior to this step):

Here is my mistake (realized it after I cut into the cupcake)...
I have the exact same color pattern on the 'bottom' and 'top' cupcake pans. Then end result was for a very dominant purple & blue pattern in the cake. Next time I will reverse the color combination so when they are put together the pattern makes a rainbow! I baked it at 325 degrees for 60 minutes and it was perfectly moist!

GIANT cupcake liner made out of candy melts:
Beware...this took me four tries to work. The good thing about candy melts is that you can re-melt it and try again if it doesn't work. I did not take photos of this process since you have to work kind of fast. Melt candy melts in the microwave as directed. Spread the melted candy around the 'bottom' portion of the cupcake pan. I used a plastic spoon to help spread the candy melt around. BIG HINT: spread it all the way to the top of the mold and create a "lip" so that you can pull it out once it is set. I then set it in the freezer for 2 minutes until it was nearly set and then put it in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes to set even more. Then carefully pull candy liner out of the mold.

Once cupcake has completely cooled you place it into the candy liner. You will need to put icing between the 'top' and 'bottom' halves so they stick to each other.

 Finally, ice the cupcake and decorate! 
I used Wilton's Whipped Icing and added food coloring. This icing is VERY easy to make and tastes good but I will try to flavor it next time with strawberry extract.

Then cut the cake!
...as you can see my rainbow isn't really a rainbow (as explained above).

ENJOY!


3 comments:

Riley's mom said...

Thanks for the step by step instructions! Riley always begs for one of these cakes when he sees the commercial on TV and now I may attempt to do one. Maybe for Shaun's homecoming party I'll do one.

Tonya said...

I'm glad I could help ;) It was fun to do so I hope you will try it!

Kelly Grant said...

impressive. I always wanted to make a giant cupacke!